Maybe festering isn’t the best word. Let’s try it again.
I’d already been pouting (yeah, pouting!) earlier in the week over the blog. I mean, I get it. I know that we are very fortunate and that there are much harder challenges we could be facing. It was just plain old jealousy on my part. Mean, green-headed jealousy. And that only made me feel worse.
But all this was taking me back to, of all things, something said to us at our first Spina Bifida Clinic when Emily was 2 months old.
Clinic, for those of you who haven’t had the pleasure, is a full day visit where you see a general nurse practitioner, physical therapist, neuro resident/nurse, then neurologist, Urologist resident/nurse, then urologist, orthopedic resident/nurse, then ortho, and social worker. A fun day for all to be had, especially when you add in about a 30 minute wait between everyone.
I remember the first visit for only one reason: what the PT said to me. She said, “Now mom,” (as if I didn’t have an actual name…but this is common practice there, apparently no one can look at your last name on the chart or pay attention when you introduce yourself), “No party shoes for her. Ever.”
I don’t remember anything else about the visit, but I remember the moment she said this clear as day. I remember what the room was like, what she was wearing, what her eyes looked like as she glared, scolded me for something that *might* occur. I believed she knew I wanted Emily to have party shoes. And I thought she delighted in taking that away. She was insensitive. She didn’t understand what it felt like to be told your child, essentially, can’t do a basic thing that virtually any mom of a girl would anticipate: playing dress-up. Having a tea party. Going to a party. Clomping around in a pair of your mom’s old shoes.
And frankly, on top of aaaalllllll the other things we’d been told Emily might/ shouldn’t/ can’t/won’t do, I just didn’t want to hear any more, least of all right then. She was 2 months old. I’d just spent 20 weeks of pregnancy worrying and stressing about everything. Our future was a huge question mark. Emily had just had 3 major surgeries (2 brain surgeries), had only been home a month; I was failing at breastfeeding, and I was a hormonal, worried first time mom. I was sleep deprived, paranoid (as in, measuring Emily’s head circumference every morning…) and this lady had the nerve to say “no party shoes”?
Were they now going to infringe on my kids playtime? Her imagination? I’d been saving retired party shoes for 5 years. I’d been working for 12 years and had a basement stocked with dress clothes and amazing shoes. We were definitely going to dress up, and have parties, and dress up with friends and cousins when they came over, and make up routines to Circle In The Sand by Belinda Carlisle. And, I definitely planned on Emily wearing cute non-dress up shoes. Ones that matched her outfit. Little white patent-leather ones on Easter. Red ones on Christmas. Uggs for our Buffalo winters.
This “no” represented yet another stranger in our lives telling us what we can and can’t have. Another medical professional laying down the rules, dictating what Emily is and isn’t capable of doing. And for me, this incident stands out because that day, it was a stark reminder of all the things I was supposed to give up. Dreams, day dreams, hopes, wishes. So many things I had planned on doing with Emily. So many things I was supposed to do, as her mom. So many things she deserved the right to do.
So sometimes, these little reminders pop up when I least expect it, and try and drag me back to that dark place.
Incidentally, we love party shoes around here. My mom and sister search high and low for adorable shoes that fit over her afo’s, or that she wears without afo’s on. Little red shoes with hearts on them. Her first pair of Stuart Weitzman’s. Ugg boots that she can wear over her afo’s, or without afo’s. Ugg maryjanes that fit like a glove over the afos.
And Emily loves wearing my party slippers.
Leave it to Emily to pull me out of the dark and remind me we make our own destiny.


Ugh! I can't believe someone would SAY that to you!? I'm so glad you didn't listen. :) Her shoes are adorable and she is PARTYING through life! :)
ReplyDeleteYou and Emily can do WHATEVER!!! you want, wear whatever you want! Never listen to narrow minded people with pin head brains. They only bring you down.Em will always have party shoes. The more the better!
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Grammy
Prove them wrong once again honey!!! How many times have you and Emily proved them wrong!! Grammy is so right about narrow minded people. They should not be in that profession with that kind of attitude....keep showing them that anything is possible as long as you believe!!!
ReplyDeleteXOXOXOXOXOXO
Nani Kathi