We've got a new look around this blog...a picture featuring the team shirts and Miss Em, and a new blog background.
I know the look is a bit *busy* but that suits us just fine. After all, we are running all over the place as of late!
Training update: On short runs (averaging from 3 miles to 6), I'm ranging from 10-10:30 minute miles. On the weekly long runs, I'm ranging from 12:15-12:40 minute miles. And so far, no rhyme or reason. I was 12:15 for 15 miles Aug 21, then...over 13 minutes (yikes!) August 28 for only 12 miles, and then 12:40 September 4th for 18 miles. I was very pleased with this, because the wind was brutal on Saturday and took a toll on my time, and I was worried with the distance I couldn't make up ground, but somehow I did.
I know for some, anything in the twelve range might be considered, well, crap. However, considering this week finished just 10 weeks of training injury free, I'm very happy. And, I feel like 12 minute miles is within my range for the marathon, now officially TWO MONTHS away.
This weekend is the Rochester Half Marathon, which I'm doing for some race experience. I'll also be running in a pace group for 12 minutes. I've been going back and forth on the pace group. because on one hand, there won't be a pace group for NYC. And, I want to be able to self lead and manage my times. However, since I've yet to come in at the 12 minute mark for longer runs, I decided this is the perfect opportunity to push myself (with some help) and see if I can do it.
Now, to the exciting art: the fund raising. Adam Schefter, an NFL Insider for ESPN (for those who don't speak ESPN, he does the reporting for the NFL for ESPN). Chris, my husband, saw that Adam Schefter tweeted about having his picture taken with a young man, who has SB, at the Steelers Training Camp in July. Chris contacted him, giving a bit of our story, and asked if he would post a message on his twitter account about our marathon goal.
I didn't know any of this, until August 26th when Chris came home from work beyond excited saying he'd just received a call from Adam Schefter. And on August 27th, the tweet went out. It read: Please help an amazing young girl, Emily Keicher, raise $ for Spina Bifida Assoc. as her mom runs NYC Marathon. Info at http://is.gd/eGFLO
And, it was retweeted 42 times.
To say I was floored is an understatement. I mean, he read the letter, decided to help, and personally called my husband to let him know.
Oh, on top of all this, he also made a donation.
In the past three months since I signed on the dotted line to raise money and run NY for SBA (for Emily), I've been so touched at the amount of people who have helped. People who we've only met *virtually* who have helped. People who we've never met at all. People who have heard about our journey from others on the same journey, who have helped. Old friends. New friends. Family. Friends of Friends. Friends of strangers. Businesses. Old school mates who we haven't seen in years. People who have have tweeted our goal. People who have shared our story on their websites, blogs, facebook pages. People who are on the same Spina Bifida journey. Mons and Dads to sweet miracle babies.
I am moved by each and every donation, every thoughtful word of encouragement. With each I am honored that our journey, Emily's life, has effected someone, and that you've decided to make a donation to the Spina Bifida Aassociation in Emily's honor.
We are now 50% to our goal, with 52 donation days left to go. 52 days to raise another $2500 for the SBA. Our team as a whole has contributed almost $11,000.00 to SBA thus far.
Running NYC in 60 days impacts me personally, as a statement to be made to Emily, for Emily. I want to demonstrate that you can do anything you set your mind to. This impacts Emily, as it sets a tone for the type of "I CAN" attitude and perception she will have, and shows her just how much love and support is out there for her. It impacts Chris, as it's his personal goal to see we meet and exceed the $5000 we must raise. And, it impacts the lives of the 166,000 people living with Spina Bifida in the US today, with the team fund raising totaling $25,000 to be donated to the Spina Bifida Association.
Donations sheets are linked above and can be sent to us at 56 Newberry Lane, Lancaster, NY 14086. Checks should be made out directly to "Spina Bifida Asscocation". Directions for making an online donation for our team (In Honor of Emily Keicher) to SBA are linked above.
Thank you for your help thus far. Thank you for opening your hearts. Thank you for continuing to spread the word. Thank you for donating. Thank you for cheering us on.
I know the look is a bit *busy* but that suits us just fine. After all, we are running all over the place as of late!
Training update: On short runs (averaging from 3 miles to 6), I'm ranging from 10-10:30 minute miles. On the weekly long runs, I'm ranging from 12:15-12:40 minute miles. And so far, no rhyme or reason. I was 12:15 for 15 miles Aug 21, then...over 13 minutes (yikes!) August 28 for only 12 miles, and then 12:40 September 4th for 18 miles. I was very pleased with this, because the wind was brutal on Saturday and took a toll on my time, and I was worried with the distance I couldn't make up ground, but somehow I did.
I know for some, anything in the twelve range might be considered, well, crap. However, considering this week finished just 10 weeks of training injury free, I'm very happy. And, I feel like 12 minute miles is within my range for the marathon, now officially TWO MONTHS away.
This weekend is the Rochester Half Marathon, which I'm doing for some race experience. I'll also be running in a pace group for 12 minutes. I've been going back and forth on the pace group. because on one hand, there won't be a pace group for NYC. And, I want to be able to self lead and manage my times. However, since I've yet to come in at the 12 minute mark for longer runs, I decided this is the perfect opportunity to push myself (with some help) and see if I can do it.
Now, to the exciting art: the fund raising. Adam Schefter, an NFL Insider for ESPN (for those who don't speak ESPN, he does the reporting for the NFL for ESPN). Chris, my husband, saw that Adam Schefter tweeted about having his picture taken with a young man, who has SB, at the Steelers Training Camp in July. Chris contacted him, giving a bit of our story, and asked if he would post a message on his twitter account about our marathon goal.
I didn't know any of this, until August 26th when Chris came home from work beyond excited saying he'd just received a call from Adam Schefter. And on August 27th, the tweet went out. It read: Please help an amazing young girl, Emily Keicher, raise $ for Spina Bifida Assoc. as her mom runs NYC Marathon. Info at http://is.gd/eGFLO
And, it was retweeted 42 times.
To say I was floored is an understatement. I mean, he read the letter, decided to help, and personally called my husband to let him know.
Oh, on top of all this, he also made a donation.
In the past three months since I signed on the dotted line to raise money and run NY for SBA (for Emily), I've been so touched at the amount of people who have helped. People who we've only met *virtually* who have helped. People who we've never met at all. People who have heard about our journey from others on the same journey, who have helped. Old friends. New friends. Family. Friends of Friends. Friends of strangers. Businesses. Old school mates who we haven't seen in years. People who have have tweeted our goal. People who have shared our story on their websites, blogs, facebook pages. People who are on the same Spina Bifida journey. Mons and Dads to sweet miracle babies.
I am moved by each and every donation, every thoughtful word of encouragement. With each I am honored that our journey, Emily's life, has effected someone, and that you've decided to make a donation to the Spina Bifida Aassociation in Emily's honor.
We are now 50% to our goal, with 52 donation days left to go. 52 days to raise another $2500 for the SBA. Our team as a whole has contributed almost $11,000.00 to SBA thus far.
Running NYC in 60 days impacts me personally, as a statement to be made to Emily, for Emily. I want to demonstrate that you can do anything you set your mind to. This impacts Emily, as it sets a tone for the type of "I CAN" attitude and perception she will have, and shows her just how much love and support is out there for her. It impacts Chris, as it's his personal goal to see we meet and exceed the $5000 we must raise. And, it impacts the lives of the 166,000 people living with Spina Bifida in the US today, with the team fund raising totaling $25,000 to be donated to the Spina Bifida Association.
Donations sheets are linked above and can be sent to us at 56 Newberry Lane, Lancaster, NY 14086. Checks should be made out directly to "Spina Bifida Asscocation". Directions for making an online donation for our team (In Honor of Emily Keicher) to SBA are linked above.
Thank you for your help thus far. Thank you for opening your hearts. Thank you for continuing to spread the word. Thank you for donating. Thank you for cheering us on.
No comments:
Post a Comment